Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Friends

To Fred, Nicholas, Sehaj, Elliot, and the many other wonderful friends I've made over the past ten months in camp

As I prepare myself for a new experience, the fact that I'm leaving shouldn't be a big deal, and I'm in no way trying to hype it up with this post, but I just have some things that I'd like to tell you guys. As simple as it sounds, I just wanna say - don't be afraid.

It wasn't easy for me to come to this decision either; to give up my life of comfort here for the uncertainty elsewhere, and even as I'm typing this, I'm hoping that my decision won't be a terrible one.

I've learnt that there's more to life than just seeking the most comfortable route. To be honest, the terrifying thing about the uncertainty of life is that you'll never know when you're going to die, and I've said this so many times in my posts, but if you were to die tomorrow, would you be able to leave in peace, or would you turn in your grave knowing that there were things you wished you had done. I believe that everyone was born with the ability to make an impact on the world. We're all unique in so many ways, and blessed with different skills to go out there and make that difference. Along the way however, people become afraid and complacent. They live by the mantra, that they're happy with what they have, and they just want secure lives.
It's an easy lie to believe, but you know that deep inside, that's not true at all. We grow up with the belief that we can achieve, and we're reach the goals that we've set for ourselves. If society takes that away from us, what else do we have left to live for.

Our parents constantly tell us to get a good degree, get a good job, earn good money and live in comfort. It's tempting, but that sounds more like a robot's life than a human's. Sometimes I feel it's good that we're in the clerical line now, experiencing the mundane office life: 8 to 5, go home, repeat.

The world is huge for a reason, and to spend our lives cooped up in a cubicle isn't one of them. We all have dreams, and we all have fantasies of ourselves being able to escape the system. If politics get in your way, climb over it. You know it's funny how I draw important life lessons from stand-ups and random, insignificant plays. Seemingly irrelevant instances forming to create a clearer picture that ultimately reveals your purpose in life.

You know you have journeys to begin and oppressions to oppose.

So do it.

You can't destroy a nation if it can't be intimidated - Russell Peters
He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep, and to gain what he cannot lose - Jim Elliot

 


No comments:

Post a Comment