Thursday, November 29, 2012

5 Things I Believe/Disbelieve (Part 1)

Here you go, what makes me well.. me, aka highly retarded.

1. Black and White

You know how some people tend to draw the line between right and wrong. "You're either black or white, there's no middle ground."

I don't know about you, but I find the legend of Robin Hood a good reminder that the grey area is ever present and is here to stay. To rob the rich and give to the poor; how intriguing. Some people evaluate the situation by its means, while others focus on the end result. Does the end justify the means, or does it really matter after all? Even then, how far is too far? That in itself, holds yet another grey area. Thrive on the chaos guys.

2. Evangelism

Couple of years ago, I was outside a mall, minding my own business when this guy came along, introduced himself as a Jehovah's Witness and then started to passionately preach to me about.. about how horrible I was and how I can live like a hundred times longer by eating ONLY the food mentioned in the Bible. Apparently, I was also horrible and I would go to Hel.

It's not hard to understand why people are often intimidated or put off by Christians. Despite being one, I feel the same way. It's hilarious to see some Christians, especially youths, proclaim their holiness and unyielding love for God in church, and then return to decadence the week after. The best part however, is when they start to judge me for not putting on a show in church like they do. And that's why Evangelism doesn't work. Talk is cheap, practicing what you preach is costly, and watching those people fail.. priceless.

3. Getting Lost

I like to surprise myself when I head out, which is why I don't have concrete plans as to what I'm going to do that day. 

Sometimes, getting lost is a nifty little way of discovering more about yourself. The same goes in life. You make choices and you don't look back, because whatever happens next will change you into the person you are today. So if you wake up not knowing what to do, follow your instincts. If it tells you to embark on an unknown journey, do it. If it tells you to take off your pants and run around the neighborhood, do it. Actually, no, don't do it.

4. Society 

You know you live in a sad world when people are liked for their popularity and not by the things they actually do. Facebook is a great documentary about these people who pretend to be deep by ripping pensive quotes and telling others how to "live right". -snorts- sure, because 12-year-olds who swear and read Twilight are sooooo mature.

By the way, I don't think I've ever taken a "directioner" or a "belieber" seriously in my life. Just sneaked a chuckle typing that. 

5. Patriotism 

I wished my parents thought it through before deciding to have me in this country. I'll admit, there are times when I'd hate myself for not growing up elsewhere. A better place without Singlish, conscription and rigidness. But that would mean missing out on chicken rice. Decisions..

I talk to my penpals from around the world, and every single time they complain that they're bored, I shoot them with my rofle (see what I did there? rofle.. rifle.. nevermind). Other countries have learnt to balance work and fun, so their lives are more eventful, with less worries about trying to afford the most basic amenities, and actually having that I-am-genuinely-free-after-work mentality.

I don't love my country. Never have and never will. 

So there you go, the first part of a series that I can hopefully sustain. Although I find that my posts are not as amusing as I'd hoped it would be. I blame my culture. What's your excuse?




No comments:

Post a Comment