Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Singa the Lion

So Singa the Lion resigned from his role as our national mascot for graciousness.
I know my foreign readers are like, "Wait, what, you guys need a mascot for that?!"

I feel equally disgusted, don't worry.

I'm not saying that I'm the kindest or the most gracious, but there are many simple practices like giving way, and not hogging the queue, that most Singaporeans still can't bring themselves to do. You know sometimes, I don't really blame them, because we come from a country that we're struggling to afford to live in. We're always rushing off somewhere, worrying that we might be late for something that could very well help us survive in this stressful environment. Like I've mentioned in my earlier post, it's a vicious cycle.

That said, it's still not an excuse to not be graciousness and kind; it's all about finding it in you to put aside your problems to help another person in need. I think Singaporeans are very passive in that sense that when they're facing problems, all they do is whine, instead of figuring out ways and means to solve their problems. They were brought up to just do and not question; eventually killing off whatever innovative characteristics they might have once possessed.

Now in Singa's resignation letter, which can be found here, one paragraph I found interesting is the one where he questions whether graciousness should just be practiced when times are good, when we don't have problems of our own. In short, when we can afford to. Of course, we all know that kindness is unconditional, that's why it's defined that way. Is it still kindness if there are strings attached, when we do it only because we have resources to spare? Probably not. Kindness requires a sacrifice of some sort, and until Singaporeans learn to stop being selfish, they'll never be considered a gracious society.

No comments:

Post a Comment