Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Destroyer

From a distance, the bridge spanning an endless distance seemed ornate and ideal to stop and rest. Those idle fantasies came to naught from the very first step I took. I made the mistake of pausing a second too long and I felt the ground beneath me give way as I scrambled on.

Barely making the next few steps, I sneaked a peak behind, only to find that the path behind me has disappeared. If you're lucky, you can see some tiles bounce off the sides of the abyss, but the rest just crumbles without a sound.

What sucks is that.. I have to keep walking, even when I'm so tired, on the verge of collapse; even when I hate the long walk ahead, even when the heat of the sun bears me down. Yet there're times when I wished I could stand still and let the bottomless pit claim me, but the thought of a mangled body scared me on anyway. The one saving grace was the dry land that awaited me, but even its existence was questionable; what if this bridge was connected to another. Spirits dampened, I walked anyway.

If there was one thing I learnt crossing to the other side; keep walking, you don't have a choice anyway. Never stop to turn to your back, for there would be nothing to see anyway. That step you once took has vanished from the face of the Earth.

There was simply,
no turning back.

No comments:

Post a Comment